Dame Mary Berry's
Lamb Steaks with Roasted Vegetable and Feta Rice
Rice is such a popular dish and brown rice is something I have grown to enjoy. Buying the precooked packets makes life very easy. You can use long grain rice, or a mixture of the two, if preferred.
1 small aubergine, cut into small dice
2 Romano peppers, deseeded and cut into small dice
1 large red onion, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely grated
5 tbsp olive oil
4 lamb leg steaks (about 150g/5oz each)
2 x 250g packets cooked brown rice
2 tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
150g (5oz) feta cheese, crumbed
Small bunch of mint, leaves chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
Rice can be made up to 4 hours ahead and reheated to serve.
Not suitable for freezing.
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C Fan/Gas 7.
2. Put the vegetables, garlic and 3 tablespoons of the olive oil into a large roasting tin. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper and toss together.
3. Arrange the vegetables in a single layer and roast in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes, or until golden and soft.
4. Meanwhile, heat a large, ovenproof frying pan over a high heat. Season the lamb and drizzle with the remaining oil. Add the lamb steaks to the hot pan and quickly brown for about 1–2 minutes on each side.
5. Transfer to the preheated oven for about 3–6 minutes, until tender but still pink. Remove from the oven, place on a warm plate and cover with foil. Set aside to rest for about 5 minutes.
6. Heat the rice according to the packet instructions. Add
the hot rice, sun-dried tomato paste, feta and mint to the vegetables in the roasting tin. Season and add the lemon juice. Mix well.
7. Carve the lamb steaks and serve alongside the rice and vegetables.